Monday, July 20, 2009

Baby Raspberry Drama (WARNING contains TMI)

Late Saturday night I woke up thinking that I peed myself. I stumbled to the bathroom a little frustrated that I had the bladder control of a senior citizen. As soon as I opened my eyes enough. I was horrified to see bright red blood everywhere. I was so shocked I just sat there for a minute. When I pulled myself together I called into the advice nurse. He basically told me that unless I was soaking a pad an hour to just go back to sleep with my legs propped up. Of course, I propped my legs up, but the sleep did not come so easy.



On Sunday we went to Urgent Care. The doctor was really kind and encouraging about how it was most likely nothing serious and sent us home without an ultrasound. I then went through my Sunday as a dazed zombie. I love Jeff for the kind of man he is during these moments, well, in all moments I love him but I am especially thankful for him when I can't seem to pull myself together. He took care of our children, one who was weening and the other who is a well, need I say more than he is 2. He stayed positive but also let me start preparing for the worst.



This morning my OB/GYN was out of the office, but the attending physician decided to move my ultrasound up a few days because of my history. I really appreciated that there wasn't much run around. It was just a simple call with a time and place to go. They were able to fit me in at a clinic close to our house at 2:15.



The ride up there was pretty silent. I think one of the best things about being married to the right person is the ability to pass emotions and thoughts with just touch or looks. Not much needs to be said between soul mates.



Anyways, we get into the ultrasound room and the technician is super perky. Like, perky enough for me to punch her in the mouth perky during what is suppose to be a somber viability check. She starts going on with ultrasound and making small chatty perky talk and the whole time I am thinking "wow, she is so insensitive"...I squeezed Jeff's hands tightly and he finally blurted (probably a little too loudly and abruptly) "Is there even a heartbeat?" She looked at us like we were idiots...and exclaimed "Oh, yes of course." So then the waterworks turns on and she is again looking at us like we are aliens. We informed her of our situation. She immediately apologized, since the US dept told her it was only a date check. It dawned on her why we had been so somber at the same moment it dawned on us that she thought this was a happy event for us. We all exclaimed pretty much at the same time "Ah, that explains it". After all the pictures were taken we had to wait to see what the attending physician had to say about the whole thing. All they had to say was "Congrats, we don't know why you are bleeding, see you in 2 weeks". After this weekend it was good enough for me. I got to see the Raspberry's heartbeat beating away at 174 bpm. And our due date changed by 4 days. We are actually due Feb 25th.



I am still spotting. But I will be able to finally get some rest tonight. Here is the Raspberry's first pictures. Enjoy! And Praise The Lord!







Oh, if you think it's weird that we have nicknamed the baby Raspberry...it's because that's how big he/she is right now. Next week, he/she moves up to a Grape! One of my favorite pregnancy books "Great Expectations" by : Sandie Jones and Marie Jones refers to the size of the baby in relation to fruit. It's kind of cool to have a visualization. Well, at least I think it is. Thanks to my friend Charmaine for recommending that book to me.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

Thank you for the update. I love to know how to pray and you guys are definitely being covered in prayer. Let us know how else we can help!

Luckiest Girl.... said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Took. I hope the little raspberry will continue to grow and be a happy
beautiful baby. Keep your feet up!

Kimberlee said...

i love that it just so happens to be raspberry season right now and every time i savor one of those juicy little drops of heaven, i think of your little drop of heaven :) can't wait to meet him/her!!

Sovic Clan said...

I am so glad that your little Raspberry is o.k.!

The Halls of Fame said...

Congratulations on the new little Smoot to be!! I am so glad you are ok and will pray for you and that little raspberry. (that is seriously the cutest thing to compare the size to fruit)Take care of yourself and thanks,as always, for the detailed info so we can be properly informed. I love it♥