Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Mother Without A Country...

I have decided that I resent my parents for raising me in America. Not for the usual reasons one would think, like raising me in the whitest state in the union, making me eat ant eggs, frog legs, and snails and telling me it was a treat, letting me get a perm...(Asians should stay far far away from spiral perms...consult my 5th-9th grade school pics for further proof). But on to the real reason behind this post...

Growing up we ate Thai/Laotian food every day. The only American food we had in our home was wonder bread, peanut butter, jelly, and cereal. Tuna casserole always sounded so good, Jeff assures me I didn't miss out on much. It wasn't until my first date in high school (thank you, Richard Lachowsky) that I was ever at a sit down restaurant that was owned by white people. And it wasn't until college that I really started eating American food on a more daily basis. Which also coincides with the start of more weight gain for me...coincidence?

When it was Jeff and I, we ate out a lot or just ate real simple meals. But now that there are 4 of us eating solid food. I really want to introduce my kids to all sorts of American dishes. They get a decent amount of Asian food. But unfortunately the only American food they have is : Kraft Mac and Cheese, lunch meat, PB and J, and string cheese. Because that's how great of American cook I am...

So I am calling out people of all color and creed who are good at feeding their family. If you suck at cooking...don't comment or give suggestions. I already know how to order out. Any suggestions will be taken to heart. If you never leave a comment because you are just nosey stalkers...please do so in this instance. It would almost be like you were doing something humanitarian by helping me come up with ways to feed my family. And you are helping me become a better mother and wife. I would like to stick to "tried and true" recipes. I have tried online recipe forums and there is never a dish that gets 100% rave reviews.

Please all mother's of the world or at least the ones that have successfully raised children who still want you to cook for them...HELP ME, please!

What are some of your family favorite's?

Thanks!

11 comments:

The Circus said...

OK lady, it just so happens that I used to be the absolute most fabulous housewife, and even now as a single parent I have NUMEROUS easy and quick recipes that will knock your socks off. You'll be amazed at how good they are and at how EASY they were to make. send me your email and I'll send you some! allgirlcircus@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Pepperidge Farm® Herbed Chicken in Pastry

Thaw: 40 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 25 minutes
Chill: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

What a great entrée to serve to your guests! Chicken breasts top a herbed cream cheese base before being wrapped in puff pastry sheets and baked until golden.
ingredients

1/2 of a 17.3 ounce package Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets (1 sheet)
1 egg
1 tbsp. water
Ground black pepper (optional)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves
2 tbsp. butter
1 container (4 ounces) garlic & herb spreadable cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
directions

Thaw the pastry sheet at room temperature for 40 minutes or until it's easy to handle. Heat the oven to 400°F. Stir the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork.

Season the chicken with the black pepper, if desired. Heat the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it's well browned on both sides. Remove the chicken to a plate. Cover the plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.

Unfold the pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll the pastry sheet into a 14-inch square. Cut the pastry sheet into 4 (7-inch) squares.

Spread about 2 tablespoons cheese spread in the center of each pastry square. Top each with 1 tablespoon parsley and 1 chicken breast. Brush the edges of the pastry squares with the egg mixture. Fold the corners of the pastry squares to the center over the chicken and press the edges to seal. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Brush the pastries with the egg mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden.

Serving Suggestion: Serve Bibb lettuce wedges with tomatoes and basil and Italian dressing. For dessert serve coffee ice cream with butterscotch sauce and whipped cream.

Luckiest Girl.... said...

You are so funny. I still rememeber eating I think some kind of meat balls with noodles that were really spicy at your house.They were yummy....send me your email. I will give ya some. trinafonua@gmail.com

Unknown said...

check out this blog
http://familyrecipes-meganconser.blogspot.com/

D-Licious D said...

Hi sweet Took! I have so many things for you! I LOVE to cook. I was addicted to the food network throughout college and now I am also taking some cooking classes. SO, if you will email me privately, I can send you a wealth of things. dmckee3313 @ yahoo.com

Sovic Clan said...

Hey hottie! Send me your email and I will hook you up!! melissasovic@hotmail.com

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

I can share some recipies some time-lets meet up at chuck-e-cheeses one morning soon. I will give you some general tips though: never ever make a single recipe- always double or triple it and freeze the extras. I sixtupled a recipie for spaghetti sauce and made 9 meals out of it. LOVE IT! The meat was on sale and it cost me less than $10. It was not any harder to make a bigger batch, and then its all right there. OH- and I try to have the kids help me pick stuff out. Leila helps me plan the meals for the week- she is more likely to eat somthing if the main dish isn't her deal. Plus if a meal is planned, I am more likely to actually cook. Nate always likes salad. And noodles- go for colors. Green noodles rock at our house. :o)

wood0306 said...

You are to cute :)
http://friendsandfamsfavoriterecipes.blogspot.com/

Kurt said...

Okay, let me just say this as quietly and politely as possible: YOU NEED TO WRITE A BOOK!!! You have such a way with words.

Now on to my recipe - rather, recipes. I get all of my healthy meals from the following website. It's not specific in terms of measurements, but it provides a visual as something to aim for. Basically, you can't go wrong. I have yet to add anything original - why when there are so many great ideas already, right?

Enjoy!

thisiswhyyourefat.com

PS: You know me and know that I'm being sarcastic above, but for the others who might read this: "I'm being sarcastic above." Somebody shot me this website and it is truly gut-wrenching. That, and it was the inspiration to my telling you about deep fried mac 'n cheese at our lunch on Sunday :)

PSS: KEEP POSTING AND WRITE A BOOK!!! (in case you forgot after my diatribe)

suz said...

Hey, you taught me how to cook a turkey, so you can't be doing that bad!

The Halls of Fame said...

I have a few things I could send you as well but what I want is your mom's food!! I loved the egg rolls, sticky rice, and all the other cool food my mom couldn't make! Funny how we all want something different then what we have. Speaking about food anyway! Love you girlie and I agree about a book deal. You have always been an amazing writer. Get paid for it for heaven sakes. I actually just came across a poem you wrote for me many years ago. I'll have to call you and read it to you. It still makes me teary!! Love ya♥