Thursday, March 4, 2010

1+1 = 3



It has been a fast three weeks since Violet joined our family. All of us are doing pretty well. We are getting some sleep. Probably not as much as we really need but the trade off has been well worth it. I am doing pretty well emotionally. I will have to say I am faring much better than I did after Lucas' birth. I'm pretty proud of myself for not putting more on my plate than I could handle. It meant asking for help, receiving help when it was offered, and declining offers that would have just been more stressful than helpful. I did suffer from some angry episodes. Jeff was perplexed as to why they only happened after 7PM. Apparently, that is my witching hour. Maybe it was because I was nervous that I would be in for a long night ahead but since none of the nightmares have come to fruition I am now mostly tolerable in the evenings.

Max is adjusting to big brotherhood quite well. He thinks Violet is his baby. He loves helping with her care and loves kissing and holding her. He had to learn pretty early in life to share his parents so I am glad that Lucas prepared him for what was to come. He is quite verbose these days. He has inherited my chattiness. Most of it you can understand. He is so positive and so emotionally aware. I am proud to be his mother. He is an awesome kid despite having me for a mother. I love seeing him grow and learn although that joy is tinged with a little sadness that he is doing all that growing way too quickly for my taste.

Lucas is forever doing things his own way. We have struggled with his sleep since he was born. He decided after we had a sleep study ordered, specialist scheduled, he would start sleeping through the night. Quite honestly, I am not surprised. I will be forever thankful for his timing though. He chose to start sleeping through the night FULLY two days after Violet came home. He will never know what a gift that was to his mother. I am delighted to say that Violet has not rocked his world as much as we had feared. He either ignores her or gives her lots of kisses if he is not busy trying to honk her nose. It seems like all I did was blink and time has flown by. He will be two in June, there were days I didn't think I could survive being his mother past infancy. Now he is a energetic, bouncy, dare-devil toddler whose favorite response to any question posed to him is : "NOPE, THANK YOU!"

Violet is growing and healthy as can be. She is a decent sleeper. Her nursing has me a bit frustrated. She is pretty lazy and we are still working on her latch. I think we will be introducing the bottle to her this week as soon as I have a good supply of pumped milk going. Violet has a wonderful father who is willing to take on some of the night feedings so I can get some rest. She's a big fan of sleeping in my arms and fresh diapers. I am hoping her love of fresh diapers means potty training will not be the disaster it has been with her eldest brother. I am looking forward to getting to know her better more and more each day. I'm already quite a big fan of who she is so far.

Our house is loud, messy, and chaotic. We sometimes answer the door in our pajamas well past morning. I don't think this kind of living is for the faint of heart or for everybody, but I am sure enjoying this ride we are on. Thank you to our wonderful friends who fed us, played with our boys, welcomed Violet, and supported us during that first week and are still continuing to do so. Thanks to my mom who despite not feeling her best put her game face on and not only played Grandma to the fullest but also took time to be "my mom" while she was out here.

4 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

Really Took? Really? Your family is just WAY too cute! Love the big brother shirts! You and Jeff make beautiful children:)

Erin Jepsen said...

Your family is darling and you sound like you are right on track. I remember dreading the night time! I think it is normal to be grouchy when you are sore, hormonal, and TIRED. My husband use to say I was either Mad or Getting Mad. You all look great and Violet is beatiful.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

It sounds like you are on the right track. She is beautiful- just like your boys. I love the attention you are giving to your boys and learning how they are dealing with the changes. Its so fun to watch our children grow into thier new roles and older siblings. I get grumpy in the evening too- so much so I tell my family I am "off the clock" at 8. If anyone is still up, I am not dealing with them(But I still do).

Hang in there! You are doing great!

suz said...

I absolutely love the look on Max and Lucas' face in that first picture, you can tell they are so proud to be big brothers! In about 15 years, Violet's many suitors better watch out for those two big brothers!