Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Grandma Smoot

I doubt you will ever find a mother/daughter in-law combo as different as Karen and I. I am pretty sure we have both uttered the words "What planet is this woman from?" about each other during the course of our relationship many times. What does bind us together is our deep unfailing love for 4 people on this Earth. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who is as devoted to Jeff, Max, Lucas, and Violet as we both are. And I am sure that sometimes, it is the only thing we have in common. This week I have enjoyed getting to know her better and being able to explain myself more clearly to her. I have a feeling that this visit built a foundation for what might become a very rewarding relationship. That is, if we don't kill each other first.

I snapped this photo of her and her granddaughter late one night. The boys had long gone on to bed and we were up discussing life, love, family, faith, and shopping. It was in that moment that I realized that no matter how differently we may see and approach the world we were bound by blood. She had no choice when Jeff asked my hand in marriage and I had no choice when I fell in love with Jeff. But now it seems we are both deliberately making a choice to love and forgive one another of the others short comings. Who knows what the future brings and what trials lay ahead for our family. All I know is that I am glad that my husband was raised by a mom who despite her imperfections loved him with a perfect love and I can see that she loves my children with that same love. And as their mother, that is good enough for me.