Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bugs in a Rug

Sometimes, it's not so bad being their mother. I happened upon this scene as I came back from the kitchen with their breakfast this morning. They snuggled together for about 10 minutes. If I do anything right as a mother, I hope to teach my children just how important siblings really are to each other.

You will leave your mother and father, your own children will leave you, most people only know their spouses from a certain point in life and even then there are no guarantees about the length of any marriage. Siblings are the only relationship you have that offers you a shared experience that really does last a lifetime. Whether it is a quality relationship depends on how you view family and how you are raised. Barring any traumatic experiences most of us who hated each other growing up end up clinging to each others friendship as we get older.

I used to hate Edward with a passion. I petitioned for Ryan to not be born. Now, I enjoy being their nagging, more mature, most awesome sister ever. It helps to be the most awesome sister they have ever had seeing as I'm the only sister they have. All joking aside, I am grateful my parents stressed to us growing up and to this day just how important it was to love each other and to LIKE each other. All three of us are different and unique. We all bring something different to the table. We are the only people in this world who knew what it was like to grow up in our household and how that affects us as adults. AND each one of us has been there for each other during trials one way or another. My prayer and hope for these three bugs in a rug is that they love each other for the unique perspective they bring into this family and that they have a deep quality relationship that lasts a lifetime.

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

I want not fond of my sister april growing up. She was the "perfect" kid who never did anything wrong, and I found myself annoyed by that, because let's be honest, you knew me as a teenager! But now she is one of my best friends and I appreciate her opinions (even if I don't always agree) and our kids are really close friends. I loved growing up in a big family and hope it has given me perspective in life.

Your kids might fight now, being close, but people I know who are also close in age seem to be best friends before too long.

LOVE the picture.

As for your last post. couldn't be more true. Some days are just like that. Others you think "I have the best job in the world!"

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

You are a great writer. I love your perspective. I relate to you and your experiences. Thanks for sharing a peice of your world. (I agree, my sisters are my lifeline- I wouldn't have any friends, real friends, otherwise)