Wednesday, June 9, 2010

525,600 minutes


Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred moments so dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure -- measure a year?
In daylights -- In sunsets
In midnights -- In cups of coffee
In inches -- In miles
In laughter -- In strife
In -- Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in the life?
How about love?
How about love?
How about love?
Measure in love
Seasons of love...
-Rent

It has been officially a year since we have moved into our house. I am not the most adaptable or committed person by any account but as most of you have heard the story, I knew this is where our family was going to end up the minute I walked through this place. I still remember praying with Jeff with both boys on our hips in the middle of the then empty and cold loft. That loft has now become the epicenter of family living for us. And that daughter that I did not have at the time and yet still imagined coming down the stairs for her prom, well, we welcomed her home this February.

In the last year this house has been witness to many mundane events that can be described as American life. Cups of coffee sipped while browsing for coupons in the Sunday paper, scraped knees, skirmishes between two very different brothers, toothpaste dropped on the floor, swear words muttered while trying to hang pictures, prayers to a God who makes it all these moments possible, numbers being crunched for a overly stressed family budget, and the subsequent discussions of why anyone would need more than one diaper bag ( a cause very close to my heart).

It has housed many fights between the two owners only to see moments later a very passionate make up session or two. This house has hosted many friends and family. It has helped host birthday parties, dinners, and of course, holidays. It has even had to bear the brunt of finding out information that changes a family's dynamic forever. We have wept, cried out in passion, yelled, cheered, and anything else in between in this house. All those events little by little shaping in to what it was meant to be all along, a home.

The bathrooms need to be remodeled, the carpets have been worn down by doggies and humans, it even survived a near flood perpetrated by yours truly. The fence is in bad shape and if it ever stops raining this summer it will get a fresh coat of much needed paint. It is not Buckingham Palace or the Taj Mahal. It will never be featured in any magazine for being quaint, hip, fancy, or anything else. Nothing makes it stand out from countless homes built in hundreds of suburbs across the country. But it is the place I thank God for when I take note that tonight my children will be tucked in safely and warmly in their beds. I couldn't ask more from a house. Well, maybe some free interior decorating tips. I mean, after all it does house the mint chocolate chip guest powder room. This home is the backdrop to the stories that will unfold as we live out our lives. I am sure it will be filled with more laughter, joy, love-making, kissing boo-boos, time-outs, angry words, doors slammed, hugs, prayers and perhaps even some deep sorrow along the way. Wherever this life takes us we have been blessed to have this home as part of our story.






5 comments:

The Newmans said...

Took,
Hi Jamie Newman here, you might remember me as Jamie Thacker in school. Anyway, I clicked on your blog today through Stephanie's and it totally brought me to tears. You see, when we bought our house I like it but didn't love it. There are major things I would change about it but the beautiful words you said about the love of a family and a home are so true and really touched me so I just had to say thank you. Plus I wanted to tell you that you have some of the most adorable children I have ever seen!

The Halls of Fame said...

So when is your first book coming out? I will be the first to buy! I could read your writings all day long. I still have a poem that you wrote for me back in jr. high! You have an amazing talent for writing....if only you could have a dream you could turn into a multi million dollar empire! hahahaha Real life is just as exciting right?! Lets make a phone date so we can catch up! Love ya

suz said...

I love your home! I am glad I have been there, otherwise this post would have me on the next plane. It also made me realize I should stop criticizing my home and remember the good things about it. And now I'll have that song stuck in my head the rest of the day.

Just me and my girls said...

Such a great post Took!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazingly put my friend! Hope all is well. =)