Monday, January 26, 2009

Intro to Vector Analysis...Dissed by a DORK!

Grandpa Max was a math professor at Colorado State. During his tenure there he wrote two textbooks. I thought it would be fun to find a copy of one of the books. It has been over 40 years since he had written it, but there are still copies floating around. At any rate, I found one at Powell's Technical Books. We really miss being right downtown so we decided to make a trip down there this weekend. Of course, by the time we got there both boys were asleep (RULE #1 : Never wake up sleeping Smoot children, they may never go back to sleep). So I darted out of the car into the store.



I went inside and WOW! I totally consider myself part in the not cool, hip, trend-setter crowd. I wave my freak flag proudly, but this store was a notch above my dorkiness. I ask the gentleman behind the counter for my book. He looked at me quizzically,made me repeat the title, he fumbled around, and then asked me again, was I sure this was the book I was looking for. I told him how it was written by my husband's grandfather and how my son was named after him, so I thought it would be a great book to have. Here is is his comment to me :



"OH! Yeah! It's a book you need to own with that history, even if you don't know what it's about..."

I was about to start in on him, but decided he had already made up his mind about the kind of person I was so, I didn't bother to correct him. So apparently, if you go to the Powell's Technical Bookstore make sure you don't wear designer jeans and high heels, apparently it lowers your IQ and you won't understand what Intro to Vector Analysis is all about...

And to make matters worse, as I hopped back in the car, Jeff commented on how loud my click-clack of my heels were...I'm just a loud walker, I'm a loud EVERYTHING, most of you who know me well know that! Why would my walking be different from every other facet in my life?!

At any rate, I really don't know what Vector Analysis is. But I am nonetheless insulted that someone would assume I didn't.

Okay thanks for letting me share my story about being dissed by a dork.

1 comment:

suz said...

What!? Remember statistics? I thought you were a math genius! Aren't all Asians?