Wednesday, April 22, 2009

House News

I am a rash decision maker by nature. I make decisions on my first impressions. I hardly ever think anything through. I just go blindly until I am stopped. I used to stumble all over the place, until I learned to trust my gut feeling. And you know what, I have rarely been wrong when I follow my heart and gut. To be honest, I can't take the credit...I think Jesus has something to do with it. It seems like those decisions seem to come easier since I have had Him in my life.

It took one date to realize I would never be the same with Jeff in my life. It took 6 months to follow my heart, and Jeff to Oregon. Leaving all I had ever known. I can't seem to remember what I was doing before I met Jeff or his crazy boys...I just know I don't want to be anywhere they aren't.

It has however, taken me 5 years to buy a house in Oregon. I think there was a little part of me that thought I really hadn't moved to Oregon "officially" if I didn't own property. One of my flaws is that I am always looking for a route out of whatever I find myself entangled with. Hence, the messy love affairs of my past...

There is nothing amazing about this house that we have found. It is actually a fixer upper. It has terrible wall paper, green Formica counter tops, and peeling paint. But for some reason, Jeff and I were drawn to this place. I imagined measuring my kids height and marking it on the wall. I imagined a daughter (who I do not have) coming down the stairs to meet her date for prom. I even imagined Max trying to sneak out of the 2nd story window. I saw my husband mowing the lawn and BBQ on the deck. At any rate, we just felt this is where we were meant to be.

Here is where it gets tricky. We prayed about this home and felt we were getting the answers we were seeking. To make a long story short...we had to learn to let go of a dream...to get exactly what we needed...apparently, that seems to be a theme of the Smoot Family saga that began back in 2004.

So this is a post to Praise Him and His perfect timing. We are humbled and in awe of Him.

And a honorable mention to my mommy who gave up a very very very big diamond ring to help us out with the down payment...props to you mommy for loving us more than your best friend. I promise we can visit her at the jewelry store often...

I am so thankful that we will soon tuck our babies in at night in a home of their very own. Who knows it may end up being the place I tuck my grand babies in years from now...Lord willing, of course. He is always in charge.

3 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

Wow! Your story is just like ours. I can't explain to people why we picked this house. Maybe it is because the house number is the day of our anniversary, maybe because deep down I love to peel wallpaper. Maybe it was the blue formica countertops. All I know is we are so meant to be in this house! I will have to make a trip up there and peel wallpaper with you:)

suz said...

My formica counter tops are harvest gold, my house is tiny, old and run down...and I love it!

I can't believe how big Lucas is getting and I haven't even seen him yet!

Miss you all and love you...hopefully one day I will be able to come out and see the new house.

Kimberlee said...

we're so glad you're putting down oregon roots! i will keep you here with cupcakes (and mutual bag-lust) as long as necessary :)