Monday, October 6, 2008

Deal-Breakers...and Revenge!

I don't know about you but I had these deal-breakers when I was looking for a companion. I wasn't all that picky, I mean if he had a pulse, clean driving record, no stints in rehab, didn't abuse animals, showered every so often, and hadn't killed anyone; I would be willing to give anyone a shot.

Fortunately for me, God is good and HE blessed me with the list above plus more abundantly when he gave me Jeff. HOWEVER, this past weekend, I realized that my deal-breaker list should have included...BACKING OFF when Mommy has made a decision on Halloween costumes.

Tamara and I thought it would be really cute if Buggy was Snow White and the boys were two of her dwarves. I especially liked the idea because that meant no difficult costumes for Max, who hates anything on his head, and Luke who is so fat he overheats easily. So I ordered the custom onesies (which cannot be returned) with HAPPY and GRUMPY on it from Disney. Oh so very cute. I have brown pants for the boys, and I had even convinced Tamara she could sew the boys’ hats' without a pattern. So, I poured a glass of wine, put my feet up and declared myself, the world's most clever mother!

THEN! Jeff came home...these were his exact words to me: "A onesie is a stupid costume; nobody wants to just have a onesie". Needless to say, I was a TINY bit annoyed with that comment. But I figured he would come to see my point about the costumes once I reasoned with him that the boys are still a bit young to care much for costumes, and I didn't want to spend tons of money on baby costumes that only get worn for about an hour for one day and that we had to go with the dwarves theme because the lovely people at Disney didn't give a crap that my husband was lame and didn't want his boys to be dwarves, the onesies were non-returnable!

Even after that rational, sane, very grown-up explanation he insisted the idea was still stupid: Word of advice to men who chance upon my blog...Don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever tell your wife one of her ideas is "stupid".

So needless to say, we put on our boxing gloves, and it was a tie. Now, Max is going to be a dragon, Lucas will be Tigger, and when Jeff isn't home...Max is going to be HAPPY and Lucas will be GRUMPY.

Lesson learned...I refuse to have anything to do with their costumes any more because quite frankly, I could care less about Halloween or dressing up. I grew up in the Land of Mormon Mommies, where every kid had way cuter costumes than I ever did, because their mom's were crafty, knitting, bedazzling, and sewing kind of mommies. Unlike my mother, who took us shopping at Smith's the weekend before Halloween to peruse the plastic costumes, you know the ones that were plastic jumpsuits and a facemask the FDA deemed unsafe a few years back. Considering that background, I think I've come a long way in the costumes department.

At any rate, here are some really cool pics of Jeff I am sure he wants me to share with all of you. Now I can see why "dressing up" is so important on October 31st...Yeah, right. I just wanted a good laugh....at his expense. AND if you notice most of these pics weren’t taken on Halloween….Apparently, people from Wyoming don’t do much besides ride horses and play dress up. The last one is my favorite.
























9 comments:

suz said...

Too funny...I needed a good laugh today. Ted is very particular about our kids Halloween costumes too, another reason for you to move back, Ted and Jeff could dress up together whenever they wanted!

Kurt said...

laugh! oh my goodness...jeff, you have been holding out on all of us! i had no idea you could look so good in leggings (or actually, i think "tights" is a more accurate description there!). of course, a daddy is entitled to his opinion, but for the record: i think snow white and happy and grumpy would've been a GREAT costume idea :)

kimberlee (from kurt's address)

Unknown said...

Tears where literally rolling down my face when I saw those pictures. But seeing what costumes Jeff had growing up I can understand why he wants quality easy to identify costumes for his boys.

1000 Miles in 2021 said...

Love it! I have dreams of making my kids costumes- haven't made one yet, and this year is definately out. My mom always made us somthing we could sleep in and wear the rest of the year-- and in my case with two older sisters years to come... Get pictures of both-- espcially your original plan- that sounds TOO cute and quite creative-I am all about cuteness and creativity with minimal effor!

wood0306 said...

You go GIRL!!! This is so DANG funny. I just love it!!! Good job, all the way around!!!

Kurt said...

Uhhh... do I see braces in that last pic? Does that mean that Jeff was in Jr. High at that point? Hee hee :)

Good thing Kim can't get a hold of my pics from when I was little. I'm confident they would destroy your computer as soon as they graced your screen.

Kurt (from Kurt's adress)

Sovic Clan said...

That is too funny! I ama Mormon Mommy but in no way am I crafty! I still don't have any of their costumes! I like the pics! Too funny!

Just me and my girls said...

You are hilarious!! How are you? Your kids are so so sweet!!!

Hope all is well.

Mindi

Luckiest Girl.... said...

Took I think your costume idea is so cute and unique too. I look forward to the pictures! I myself like the superman costume! I being a mormon mommy only wish I could sew! But of coarse I will procrastinate and probably end up at Smith's!LOL!!!Have a good one!