Monday, January 12, 2009

NO! Mai! Baw! Nein! Non! 沒有!


In our household there are 3 different languages bouncing around all the time. Not as confusing as you would think and the human brain can actually absorb up to 12 different languages from birth to about the age of 12...which is sad, since we really don't teach kids in America a foreign language until about that age. Here is the ugly side of the that little fact about the human brain.




Max understands pretty much everything we throw at him, but most of his first words have been in English...until this week. He now knows how to No in English, Thai, and Laotian. So much fun to hear when you are trying to wrestle a diaper on him, when you are trying to get him to share his toys, when you turn off Barney, or when you are trying to get him to leave the dogs' water bowl alone.


Pretty much I bounce back and forth on which child I could post on craigslist or ebay. I would take the first offer and then quickly take down the post so the authorities couldn't be alerted. Too bad all my friends happen to be child welfare workers...it could totally work I think if I made different friends.


It's a good thing he is really cute because that is all that is saving his hide these days...




4 comments:

Sovic Clan said...

That is freaking hilarious! My kids are learning Laotian from their uncle and they think it is so cool, I think it's cool until they ask very quietly how to say things like "Shut Up", "Your not the boss" and other lovely things:)

Sarah Lee said...

Sweet! I can't even imagine learning 3 launguages. didn't even finish with the second (though I still remember all the important words, ya know, like swear words).

wood0306 said...

Love It!!! That is so funny Took! I can picture it all now. Good Luck with that :)

The Halls of Fame said...

I can always count on a good laugh from your posts!! I can't wait to meet your boys. They are darling!! Be patient for this too shall pass! My babies are going to be 10 and 12 this year. Time flies!! Enjoy each precious word, even NO, Mai, Baw, and Nein!! Love ya♥